Written By Regina Brett of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio. To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me.It is the most-requested column I've ever written. My odometer rolls over to 90 in August, so here goes:
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11 Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie.Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years,will this matter?'
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will. Stay in touch.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood. Make it memorable.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
42. The best is yet to come.
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Okay now I have to admitte I love all of these, but have one that just really touches my heart, and it would be: #37 because I have 4 beautiful, healthy kids. They grow up so fast and we sometimes forget to take in every moment that we have with them. When they ask me to do something for them or with them and I am just not in the mood I rememer the story that my best friend shared with me that her mother had shared with her about her 4 year old brother who had never ask this of his mom before that night. One night while Rusty was preparing for bed he ask his mom if she would stay and rock him to sleep, his mom told him, "Not tonight". The next day he was killed and along with all the grief of loosing a child came the thought of not spending the time to grant him his one last wish, which was to be cuddled and rocked to sleep by his mommy. She still to this day questions why he ask that of her on that nigh, did he know something, was God giveing her that last moment to spend alone with him, to love him and see him drift off to sleep in her arms. She has regretted no taking the time to swaddle him one last time and may live with it for the rest of her days. I do not want to regret anything with my children. Yes, there are over a hundred times that I have question my decsion or wished I would have handled it a different way, but I always try to remember this story and stop long enough to listen and love.
We are not promised tomorrow and today is almost over.
Well here I am anticipating, no wait let me re fraze that, dredding Turkey day. Why you ask, well several reasons. One, I am feeling rotten, coming down with a cold, two, we are going to my inlaws, and no that is not bad, just don't like leaving my comfy bed when I am feeling rotten, I am not up to spending the day chaseing my kids, reminding them to use their manners or haveing them do the, "Yuck what is that", and haveing everyone look at us like we are a bunch of rednecks, although it does run in our blood line, lol, third, I am spending yet another holiday without my parents, this will be the 3rd. without my dad and the 2nd without my mama. We always spent the holidays with them, so this time of the year is when I miss them the most. Just pray I make it through the rest of the year and that next year will be better. With all that said I am looking forward to the food, that is if I am not sick as a dog, then I hope I atleast feel good enough to pack a doggie bag. I hope all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I will update you on our little adventure afterward. Happy Turkey Day. Ugh.........
Ok so here I am in Blogging world try to figure out how all you gals get all them pretty things on your blog site and have found that I have now been on this thing for over 4 hours trying to make my site look pretty and you know what this is hard......I have finally got a pretty back ground but have no idea how to get something pretty for where my blog title is, UGH...
Would some of you pro's out there lend me a hand in makeing this thing look glamourous, PLEASE! I know it is prob. something stupid to get all worked up over but, OH WELL! to late for that. lol.
Today I spent cleaning my house, UGH.....
What a mess my family leaves it over the weekend. Someday I am gonna.......
Can't believe how messy a place can get overnight, and my family is all about going to work and school on Monday and leaving ol' mom at home to make things better again. I worked my tail off today, all day. I did no sewing, no cardmakeing, no dotee doll makeing, I didn't even sit down to watch some tv, but as you can see I did get in a few hours to play on my blog, BUT....it was not till the end of the day after I had slaved and worked my poor fingers to the bones to make sure my sweet children(yah right) and darling hubby could come home to a nice clean home and a crock pot of beans and a pan of corn bread. Yeah I know sounds like I slid by on the meal, and you are right I did but they got fed didn't they and no one complained so I was happy, lol.....
Tomorrow I plan on doing something fun, no more of that work crap for me. Been working on some purses for presents and to put on Etsy.com so going to get creative and see what else I can come up with. I will post some pictures as soon as I figure this blog thing out. So if any of you would like to see what I have under my sleeve I sugjest you give me some blogging tips 101 advice, hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.............
Okay I am off to la la land zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................Until tomorrow..............
Okay well here I go starting this blogging thing that I hear is so addictive, me, a non-addict, lol. Yeah right, I may not like to admit it but I am, I am an addict, yes you heard right, an addict, I am addicted to many things, one would be my husband, just cannot seem to get enough of that guy, (wonder if there is a support group for that) he is such fun to be around, always makes me smile and what a team player he is. Love Ya Babe! I am also addicted to sewing, makeing jewlery, handmade cards, dotee dolls, scrapbooking, and my newest would be makeing purses, love, love, love it. I am a stay at home mom so being creative is part of my job you know. No I do not sit around eating bon bons watching soaps all day I will have you know, I spend my days being creative, crafy and amaze myself daily with all this talent God has given me(even if I am the only one that thinks I am talented, lol) I am a blessed mom of 4, a son James, who will be turning 16 Dec. 5th, a 14yo. daughter, Justice, a soon to be 11yo daughter, Dec. 15th to be exact, Tajenai and a baby girl, Bryanna who will turn 5 on her brothers birthday, Dec. 5th. Go ahead and say it, and yes I was busy in the bedroom around the same time every other year or so, lol......... I am a current member and participant in Swap-bot, just love that website, have met lots of wonderful people and have received some awesome things. If you are crafty in any way you must share and swap with some other crafy women on Swap-bot, it is truely a blast. My family is the joy of my life, they are my best friends(and sometimes my worst enemies, lol) and haveing them in my life as made me who I am today(on my good days that is, heeeeheee). I was blessed with two wonderful human beings that I called daddy and mama, they both have gone on to be with our Lord in Heaven, lost my daddy in May of 2006 and my Dear Mama in Oct. of 2007. Adjusting to life without them has been one of the biggest challenges I have ever been up against. But I know that God had bigger plans for them in Heaven and that I cannot question, I just look forward to seeing them again someday and am happy knowing they are together again. I hope to make lots of friends here on this blog and share lots of memories, ideas and maybe some tears and a whole lot of laughter. Happy Thanksgiving to all......Hugs